My Photo
Name:
Location: Shreveport, LA, United States

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Encouragement to Stay by the Stuff!

Dr. Mike Johnson is the head master of Cair Paravel Latin School in Topeka, KS. We became friends when he was on the staff of Calvary Baptist Church in Shreveport where I also served with Dr. W. D. “Step” Martin. Bro. “Step” was an evangelistic pastor in the truest sense. Every week we were given assignments for evangelistic visits and were held accountable that these visits were made. Dr. Mike shared recently the result of one of these encounters. I share with you because of the encouragement it gave me to keep on telling the old, old, story. When we share Jesus – we may not know until we get to heaven the entire results. Let me encourage you to build a prayer list of people who need to know the Lord. It takes prayer, concern, asking God for boldness, and just generally persistence. By the way, Dr. Johnson is one more intellectual – pray for him as he plants a love for the gospel in his students.

Dr. Johnson,
You probably do not remember me. I graduated with the class of ’89 at Captain Shreve and was fortunate enough to have you as my teacher in basic Latin. I write now to thank you. Not for your teachings in Latin (which were terrific as I recall), but for your interest in my salvation. While a student in your class, you invited me to a church service wherein at the end of the service the pastor extended an invitation to those in the congregation to come forward and accept their savior – I remained in my seat. You also invited me to attend early-morning “bible study” sessions you were hosting before school once a week at Captain Shreve. Although I came on several occasions – I remained in my seat. Undeterred, you even took me to lunch at El Chico. I remember distinctly you pulling out your Bible, laying it on the table and speaking to me about Christ – I remained in my seat. . . Sir, I report to you now as a brother in Christ, having accepted the grace so freely given and waking each day in the newness of life as only Jesus can provide. Mike, I think of you often and the time and effort you spent with me. Your impact on my life has been profound. I accepted Christ and was Baptized ten years ago in a small Baptist Church in Pintlala, Alabama. However, my walk to salvation began with the first small steps taken with you. I was speaking to some people the other day about “my high school Latin teacher” and your attempts at opening my heart 20 years ago and it dawned on me that I never thanked you. So, here goes, thanks for planting a seed in my heart; thanks for not giving up when I repeatedly shut down the conversations about Christ; and thanks for being an example for me in proclaiming the good news. Last Sunday an inquisitive 19 year old student in my office asked if he could attend church with me and then go to my Sunday School class. He did and as I stood in the hallway after class speaking with him about the lesson (Romans 12), I had to laugh – who would have thought 20 years ago that anyone would be going to church with ME!!! In short, this thanks is long overdue – I hope this email finds you well – be encouraged in your efforts - you keep doing what you did 20 years ago with me – those first small steps cracked an otherwise hard heart – I would write something cool to say here in Latin but I forgot everything!!!!!!
In Love,
Mark

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home